Wednesday, December 22, 2010

New Zealand

New Zealand is gorgeous!  Green hills everywhere and practically deserted beaches.  The only down side... dial-up internet. :|  This means no pictures for a while :( . Which is really too bad because I haven't even finished showing you all of Australia!  You'll have to be happy with just stories for now until I can get better internet and get you some pictures. 

Everyone here is addicted to seafood.  They all look at me funny when I say I don't like it and my future father-in-law keeps trying to get me to eat it.  Him and his friends go diving a lot.  The second day I was here he went diving for kinas (sea urchins).  They crack them open with a knife and use a spoon to scrape out the meat.  If you were to buy it from a shop I think it's somewhere around $300 a kilo.  We gave some away and everyone was really excited to get some. 

When I went for a walk on the beach my future mother-in-law came and we picked up pippies (clams).  Most of the pippies on the beach have been eaten by the seagulls but every once in a while we found a good one.  We found maybe six on our 40 minute walk.  Yesterday I went for another walk by myself and it happened to be low tide.  I walked out to this sand bar and there were hundreds!  Luckily I had brought a bag for shells and things and I filled it with pippies.  I have no desire to eat them but it was fun to hunt for the best ones.  Sorry again about the picture thing..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type happy things here!